After I got home from work yesterday, the electrical box in the bushes in front of my house sparked and set off a small fire. Luckily, a neighbor saw the smoke immediately and rang my doorbell. (Thanks, Jeff!) It travelled this far in the less than 30 seconds it took us to grab our fire extinguishers.
I don't know of any official bans in our area, but many counties and cities in Illinois have recently issued bans on fireworks, recreational fires, or charcoal grills. After experiencing how fast a fire like this can spread and how hot they are, I can see why.