Since 2008, we have mowed the greens with a John Deere 2500B with 11-blade reels and turf conditioners(or "groomers"). This unit has been used for 3650 hours so far and we are going to need it to continue to function for at least the next 2 seasons, maybe more. We rebuilt the reels two years ago, so they are in fine condition. The engine, however, was starting to show its age.
|Gary on the greens mower|
To avoid dripping oil on the green and a mid-season surprise, this engine either needed to be rebuilt or replaced. Replacing the engine and old exhaust was going to cost at least $3000. Since we have rebuilt a few v-twin engines recently, I was pretty confident we could rebuild for a lot less. A big thanks to Gary and Felix who did most of the work on this project.
Here is the greens mower after they pulled the engine:
|John Deere 2500B|
Luckily, the major components of the engine were in good enough shape. We just needed a gasket set, new cylinder rings, and new valves. The cylinder walls just needed honing. Most of the important stuff -- cylinder size, crankshaft measurements, piston diameter, inside diameter of bearings, etc. -- were very close to factory specification and well within wear tolerances.
|Cylinder and piston after the head was removed|
|Piston after cleaning and ring removal|
|Cylinder head with new seals and valves|
|Inside of engine|
|FD620D oil pump gear with worn teeth|
|You can see the worn surfaces on the right side|
After everything was cleaned and inspected, reassembly was pretty easy.
|Engine ready for reassembly|
|Ready to close it up!|