Thursday, August 11, 2016

New roots in August!

A couple weeks ago, we used "bayonet" tines for the first time on the greens. The slices left were barely noticeable after rolling and mowing. A few days later, the marks were invisible but testing with a soil probe reveals excellent rooting in the channels opened up by the tines. In each of the slices, new roots have developed, sometimes down the entire length of the tine. Without venting, it is unlikely we would be growing new roots in August - especially this August.  The channels formed by the bayonet tines offer some much needed oxygen to the rootzone allowing golf courses to keep their greens healthy in tough conditions.
Bayonet tines on a Toro 648 with rear roller
New roots!

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

7 Tee Area Before and After

With seed germinating and the cart path installed, I thought it was time for some before and after shots of the area behind 7 tee.  This project accomplished several things: improved drainage, removal of old fill pile, improved cart routes, and safe access from the driving range to the course.  The "after" photos were taken after several rainstorms and the improved grading and drain lines performed as expected with no standing water in the area.
Looking back from 7 tee:

Before removing the pile and after:

Same area earlier this year and now:

Looking north after the drain was installed and now:

Early morning net repairs

Thanks, Stan!

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Blue tee on #7 is open

The cart path around the back of 7 tee was finished Friday and the tee is open for play.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

7 Tee Project Timelapse

December 15, 2015: Trench dug for drain pipe

December 16, 2015: Pipe installed. Backfilling begins.

April 16, 2016: Tilling and grading

May 9, 2016: Seed and blanket down

June 24, 2016: First mowing

Friday, June 24, 2016

7 Tee Cartpath

Serious progress made today on the renovations around the back tee on 7.  The crew spread moistened stabilized crushed granite in the forms and rolled it out.  It was a beautiful day for working outside.  Good work, Gary, Felix, Aaron, and Chase!

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Another new drain line

A couple weeks ago, we added a drainage pipe to connect an old drain line to the newer system.  The old drain line could have been connected when the newer line was put in, but I'm guessing the architect did not know the old system was there.  The connection should allow some areas of 7 fairway to drain more quickly as the perforated drain lines will be draining into a deeper basin instead of being full of water after a rain.  It should also reduce the puddles you can see in the pictures that were caused by the old drain line "daylighting," or emptying onto the surface.

Thanks to Elmhurst Park District for letting us borrow the backhoe.  We could not have done it otherwise.  A trencher would not have worked on some of the large chunks of concrete we ran into.  Some were so big, we just had to leave them there.  We ran into a complete slab of sidewalk at one point.  Luckily it was deep enough we could leave it there and still maintain our slope.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...